Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Going back to afternoon naps

I realized today that my life and home was so much calmer, cleaner, quieter and more organized when my kids were toddlers. I know that is the opposite of what most people say or think. But really, most days we were up and out the door to go to different places, but we were ALWAYS home for nap. When the little angels were sleeping, I was quietly working around the house. Cleaning, reorganizing drawers, putting pictures in albums - whatever. Now, no one naps - we hit the ground running and don't stop until dinner, or after. Back then, they would have quiet play time sitting on the floor playing or watching Sesame Street - now they have loud music cranked (not all of them), they are in and out of the house, along with their friends. No wonder our home looks and sounds like a bunch of wild animals are living here. To take this even further, I realized that I was in much better shape back then. When the kids weren't napping, we'd be outside taking walks, playing at the playground, swimming, wherever, Mom had to play too - or at least keep them from falling off the climbing structure. Now, I seem to sit more than anything. I sit in the car, in the orthodontist's office, piano, ballet, soccer - whatever. I've even taken up knitting, so at least I feel like I'm accomplishing something while I'm doing all of that sitting! No more moving around and wearing everyone down in order to ensure a good, long nap. How sad. Even night time routines were easier - before, the exhausted little cuties would have a bath, we would read a book or two (oh, I miss those days) and then it was off to bed, before 8:00. Then I could work on other things, or watch a show with the hubby. Now, we're lucky if everyone is even home in time for dinner, let alone a relaxing bath and book time. I miss the good old days. So, if I get my way - the kids will be going down for nap in just a few short hours and then I will be reorganizing my drawers. The only problem is - I'm the one who really needs the nap these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment